[m-dev.] Reopened: state vars syntax sugar

Ben Schmidt b.schmidt at ugrad.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jan 30 11:12:36 AEDT 2007

>> To be constructive, here are the options:
>> !mytype::(in, out)
>>   Ondrej, Julien, Ben, originally Ralph
>
> Unless something special comes along, I'm happy to go along with this
> one if that's the concensus.

Though I'm also happy enough with this one, I also do like the idea of
keeping '!' in on the action as a 'state variable' marker. Perhaps the
infix operator idea is worth another airing?

!mytype::in!out

To me it seems clear that the second '!' means 'state variable' but
doesn't mean 'expands to twice as many arguments'.

Or is in!out going to be automatically equivalent to !(in,out) in
Mercury and thus treading on territory best reserved for when insts are
remodelled or some other inst-based syntax devised?

Ben.