[m-dev.] Status of the IL backend

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 22 23:47:53 AEDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

> While the IL backend still works fairly well in the current released
> version, the CVS version still has problems which need fixing.
>
> In particular:
> * Default implementations for some of the C foreign procedures in the
> standard library do not work.  I include a patch to fix these
> problems.

Yes, Pete got a bit over enthusiastic when he implemented
--warn-unused-imports and accidently deleted some of the module imports
that were required only be the default clauses.  (I've modified your
patch to (a) disable the warning for that module and (b) put a comment
import module.

> * The standard library will not build, due to stream.string_writer.  I
> believe this is the first nested sub-module in the standard library,
> and it appears to have confused it. I will look into why at some
> point.

stream.string_writer is separate sub-module not a nested one (not
that the IL backend should care about that distinction.)

> Estimated hours taken: 0.2
> Branches: main
>
> Fix problems with a few Mercury clauses in the standard library that
> have C foreign procedure declarations, and will not build with the
> default Mercury clause.
>
> library/rtti_implementation.m:
>   Alter num_functors to fail rather than returning -1 for types
> without functors, to conform to the recent change in construct.
>
> library/term_size_prof_builtin.m:
>   Import require, so that error can be used to indicate that the
> function is unsupported for any backends that do not implement this
> module's functionality.
>
>        ),
> -        NumFunctors = -1
> +        false
>    ;
>        TypeCtorRep = tcr_unknown,
>        error("num_functors: unknown type_ctor_rep")

The diff looks fine - thanks for that.

Julien.