[m-dev.] deep profiler installation

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 5 15:14:33 AEDT 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Peter Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Mercury distribution currently assumes CGI programs should go in
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin

or in /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables.

> and won't enable the deep profiler if it doesn't exist.
>
> I propose to install mdprof_cgi to the standard Mercury bin directory
> and let the user figure it out for their own system/web server.

How about putting it in the the CGI script dir if it exists and putting
in the bin directory if it doesn't.

> Since this will allow ./configure --enable-deep-profiler to work even
> without the /usr/lib/cgi-bin directory, I propose also to enable the
> deep profiler by default.

Yes.  We should be building the deep_profiler directory by default.
Even on systems that don't support it, we should at least check that
the Mercury files in that directory compile and are consistent with
the rest of the system.

Julien.