[m-dev.] structure-sharing?

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu May 18 09:58:03 AEST 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com wrote:

> So, I attempted to build the ROTD on the Sun box ...
> apparently, there are many new files which, a large number
> of them have really long file names ... so long, in fact
> that Solaris' tar drops them or truncates their names.

You'll probably need to use GNU tar, the Solaris version is a bit
stupid sometimes.

> ... doesn't make building the ROTD easy.  I'm looking
> into adding a different tar to the Sun box, which may
> be easy, or, since I'm not admin, may not be so easy ...
>
> So, what is all this structure-sharing functionality
> added to the compiler?

It's part of the compile-time garbage collection (CTGC) system, see:

<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/papers/Cw2004_03_mazur.pdf>

Structure-sharing is the part that works out if it is safe for the data
structures to be destructively updated.

> Main page news item material?

Not as yet, it's still work in progress.

Julien.