[m-dev.] Solver type horribleness...

Peter Hawkins hawkinsp at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 3 13:17:26 AEDT 2006

Hi...

I just thought of this bit of solver type horribleness. Consider this
program:

:- solver type fd_var.

:- pragma memo(cvar/2).
:- pred cvar(int::in, fd_var::oa) is det.
cvar(_, NewFooVar).  % NewFooVar is created automatically

:- pred constrain_nth_var(int::in) is det.
constrain_nth_var(I) :-
    (if cvar(I, C), C < 5 then true else throw("stop")).

main(!IO) :-
    constrain_nth_var(1),
    cvar(1, V),
    impure ask_value(V, Value),
    print(Value, !IO).

The predicate constrain_nth_var doesn't take any solver type arguments,
takes only input arguments, is pure and deterministic (perhaps the
if-then-else needs to be changed to disjunction for purity). What stops
the compiler from optimizing the call away? Perhaps solver type output
arguments in memoed predicates need to imply impurity?

Cheers,
Peter