[m-dev.] logging proposal

Ian MacLarty maclarty at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Mar 6 03:36:26 AEDT 2006

On 2 Mar 2006, at 05:54, Ralph Becket wrote:

> Mark Brown, Thursday,  2 March 2006:
>> but I think I prefer the list syntax.
>
> Seconded.

I'm happy with the list syntax.  I'm not sure when I'll get time to
implement this though :-)

I was thinking of implementing it in the following way:

1.  Impurity analysis ignores debug goals.
2.  After impurity analysis create forwarding
     predicates for debug goals and expand debug
     goals to be impure calls to unsafe_perform_io,
     passing in the forwarding predicate, marking
     the inserted calls as debug goals.
     (Should we move unsafe_perform_io to
     private_builtin?)
3.  After mode analysis delete the inserted calls unless
     the right compiler option is given.  (We only want
     to delete them after mode and type analysis so that
     they are always mode and type checked).

Does that sound like the right way to do it, or is there a better way?

Ian.