[m-dev.] for review: bintree.m -- opening type declaration

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 15 16:38:23 AEDT 2006

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com, Wednesday, 15 February 2006:
> I have modified bintree.m to open the type declaration.  Purpose: this
> allows users to extend the functionality of the protocol without being
> required to duplicate library internal implementation code.  Also, as
> the type may have purposes not expected by the library designer, the
> open type allows the user to use this type without resorting to
> hacking around the protocol.

This is not a good idea!  The bintree structure has to observe the
ordering invariant, which is enforced by requiring users to use
the interface presented by bintree.

You haven't explained why you want to see the structure of the bintree.
If you make a good enough case, we'll happily extend the interface to
accommodate you without compromising the bintree invariants.

-- Ralph