[m-dev.] op/3 syntax and semantics

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Feb 18 20:36:05 AEDT 2006

On 01-Feb-2006, doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com <doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com> wrote:
> Fergus asked for a semantic and syntactic definition of the op/3 declaration.  Since it is implemented the same way in Mercury as it is in Prolog (except the extent of the effect: in Mercury I've limitted its extent to the module in which it is declared.

So the scope of an "op/3" declaration is from the following "item"
(<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/doc-latest/mercury_ref/Items.html>)
up to the end of the module?

> I suppose some documentation for the Mercury user's manual is required.

Yes.

> Does the above suffice?

It's getting pretty close.
You'd need to also specify the scope of the operator.
And the documentation needs to be integrated with the
existing stuff in the Mercury language reference manual.
(Post the diff showing your changes to "doc/reference_manual.texi".)

--
Fergus Henderson                    |  "I have always known that the pursuit