[m-dev.] library versioning for Mercury

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 1 17:44:43 AEST 2005

One of the things we discussed earlier to day was library
versioning.  The following is a proposal for a user-level
interface to this functionality.

We add three new options to the compiler:

	--library-version

	Tells the compiler to build a versioned library.
	(If it's not building a library at the time, ignore it).

	--library-version-major-number

	Specifies the major version number.

	--library-version-minor-number

	Specifies the minor version number.

We also add two new variables that can be used in Mmakefiles or
Mercury.option files:

	LIB_MAJOR_VERSION
	LIB_MINOR_VERSION

The compiler/mmake/mmc --make would arrange for the appropriate options
to be passed to the ml script (or wherever necessary).

(I may be basing a bit too much of the above on what needs to be done
on OS X - I'm not that familiar with how one versions libraries on
linux/windows.)

Julien.