[m-dev.] higher order types, overloading

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri May 13 22:03:11 AEST 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Mark Brown wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The implementation of constructor classes raises some language design
> issues, one of which I thought I'd bring up now in case anyone wants to
> comment.  The issue is how to resolve overloading of type names with
> different arities, given that type expressions will no longer have to
> have all arguments supplied.
>
> For example, given the declarations:
>
> 	:- type pair(A, B) ---> A - B.
> 	:- type pair(A) == pair(A, A).
>
> how do we know whether the type expression pair(int) should have kind `*'
> or kind `* -> *'?
>
> The general solution is to use kind inference to determine the correct kind
> from the context: if the expression appears where kind `*' is expected then
> it is referring to pair/1, and if it appears where kind `* -> *' is expected
> then it is referring to pair/2.
>
> There are two problems with this, one from an implementation point of view,
> and one from a language design point of view.
>
> The implementation problem is that we do module qualification and expanding
> of equivalence types very early in the compilation process -- earlier than
> I was planning to place kind inference -- so there is no way to resolve the
> overloading when it is needed to be resolved.  This problem is not
> insurmountable: conceivably the expanding of equivalence types could be left
> until later (possibly not a bad idea anyway), and module qualification of
> such cases could be delayed until enough kind inference has been done
> (similarly to how we delay module qualifying calls until enough type
> inference has been done).

Both module qualification and expansion of equivalence types need to be
done quite early in order to support the module system; I guess it would a
question of how much you can separate out what *must* be done early
on and what can be delayed.

> The language design issue is that programs that make heavy use of this form
> of overloading, while they may be cute, are likely to be quite difficult to
> understand.  I'd be very much inclined to force users to avoid such
> overloading, or at least force them to use kind annotations, to avoid this
> problem.  IMHO this is not too much price to pay.

I think that it's best to keep an open mind on the language design
aspects - at least until we've had a chance to play with them.

> So, rather than implement the general solution mentioned above, here's
> what I propose.  The correct arity for a given type constructor should be
> found by attempting the following rules in the order given:
>
> 	1) If there is an explicit kind annotation, use that to determine
> 	the arity of the type constructor.
>
> 	2) If there is only one possible match, use that.
>
> 	3) If there is an exact match (that is, if we have supplied N
> 	arguments and there is a symbol defined with N parameters), use
> 	that.  In other words, if we can give the type expression kind `*'
> 	then we do.
>
> 	4) Report an ambiguity error, and suggest that the user use kind
> 	annotations to resolve it.  That is, if we have a choice between
> 	`* -> *' and `* -> * -> *', we don't favor either choice.
>
> We would be able to implement these rules as part of the module qualification
> pass, and leave full kind inference until later.  Doing this will also
> simplify kind inference since there will be no disjunctive constraints on the
> kinds -- all choices will have already been made.
>
> Two possible variations:
>
> 	- As above, but leave out rule 3.  IMHO rule 3 should stay, since
> 	kind `*' would be by far and away the most common case, and would
> 	be what readers of the code would naturally expect when they see
> 	a type expression.
>
> 	- As above, except that in rule 4 choose the simplest kind, for some
> 	value of "simplest".  For example, choose the kind with the shortest
> 	left-hand branch (that is, choose the arity which is closest to the
> 	number of arguments supplied).  IMHO, this would be giving users too
> 	much rope.

Agreed.  If users want rope they can always use perl or C++.

Cheers,
Julien.