[m-dev.] TODO list for 0.12 release

Peter Hawkins peter at hawkins.emu.id.au
Fri Jul 8 11:13:34 AEST 2005

Hi...
Peter Ross wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:27:56AM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
>

>>---------------------------------
>>Failing test cases on 0.12 branch
>>---------------------------------
>>
>>* hard_coded/ppc_bug in reg.gc, PPC/Darwin only.
>>
>>  If we can't resolve this one then the base grade on this
>>  platform should be changed to none.
>>

>For me the default grade should be hlc.gc in this case, none is much
>slower.
>
>Of course this will not work for the source distribution, but it should
>be in the README how to bootstrap to the hlc.gc grade.

I've made this point before, but why isn't the default source grade
hlc.gc in all cases? It's much more portable across compilers and
architectures, so I hold the view that it should be the pre-generated
default in the source distribution for bootstrapping purposes. I built
the debian packages currently in debian unstable this way.

Incidentally, better gcc 4.0 support probably needs to be on the to-do
list, since it's now the default compiler on several linux
distributions. I suspect using hlc.gc may be the best way to achieve
this since gcc 4.0's optimizer appears to break the asm_fast grades.

=)
Peter