[m-dev.] benchmarks for finite domain solvers with --generate-trail-ops-inline

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Dec 16 20:41:22 AEDT 2005

On 16-Dec-2005, Julien Fischer <juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
>   On the basis of these
> results (+ the ones for the compiler) I think we should make
> generate-trail-ops-inline the default.

Agreed.

>   This is consistent with the
> recent benchmarking that Samrith has been doing on the compiler, where hlc.gc
> and hl.gc have been consistently faster than asm_fast.gc.

Were those with --use-local-vars enabled? Some benchmarking I have been doing
on my laptop indicates that we should enable --use-local-vars at the default
optimization level; its cost in compilation time is cheap compared to the speed
improvement it generates.

> On a related note, I haven't tried running the above tests with trail usage
> analysis enabled, so it's also possible there may be some improvement there.

Those would be interesting results.

Zoltan.