[m-dev.] 0.12 release

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Wed Aug 31 21:40:19 AEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:12:24PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Peter Ross wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:56:54PM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:
> > > Since neither of these things is particularly critical I propose that we
> > > release 0.12 next Friday (9 September).
> > >
> > For me one also needs to fix the bug, where one has tabled_io predicates
> > which contain labels <http://tinyurl.com/bbcxo>.
> >
> Well, yes something does need to be done about that but I don't really
> want to hold the release up because of it - there is a workaround,
> admittedly not a very good one, for this problem.

There is a workaround?  I missed the messages explaining that, could you
point me to it.

> Ian/Zoltan, how difficult is to fix this?  The proposed solution was
> to have tabled_for_io respect pragma inline, although I guess another
> alternative is to have something like table_for_io_unsafe, that performs
> a slightly different transformation that doesn't inline the body of
> the foreign proc.

For me the fix should be quite trivial, I had a look at where to fix it
myself, but didn't have the time to dig in deeper.  I really think this
should delay the release because we will use 0.12 for a production
system and this is a bug which effects us.

Otherwise one will just have to release 0.12.1 a few days later with
this fix.

> > Otherwise extras/concurrency doesn't compile in asm_fast.gc.decldebug
> > when one annotates the predicates with tabled_for_io in semaphore.m.
> >
> Does debugging concurrent programs work with mdb?

Yes it does if you use the LLDS in a non-parallel grade, so that the
application runs single threaded but can yield to different
continuation points.