[m-dev.] bad error message

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 3 17:08:16 AEST 2005

Probably a known flaw, but you guys asked for complaints about
bad compiler error messages....

I got this error message:

    Error: expected type in instance declaration to be a functor with
    variables as args: _1.

from this declaration:

    :- instance ground_watchable(dvar(T),T).

Firstly, note there is no line number in this error message, so the
only way I know that's the code that caused the error is that I've
only got 2 instance declarations, and I get 2 identical error
messages.  If I had more, it'd be difficult to find the problem.
Secondly, I infer that the _1 means the first argument is the one with
the error, but that one *is* a functor with variables as arguments.
Thirdly, the message doesn't make it clear you can never have type
variables in instance declarations, just that it didn't expect it in
that context.

--
Peter Schachte              Computers are useless. They can only give you
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        answers.