[m-dev.] A couple of problems with Shared Mercury libraries on Mac OS X

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 29 16:06:41 AEST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Michael Wybrow wrote:

> 2) When building the compiler from the C source tarball without the
> presence of an existing mercury compiler, three dynamic libraries in the
> base grade, rec.gc, are never given an install_name.  These are:
> libmer_std.dylib (from compiler/), libmer_browser.dylib and
> libmer_mdbcomp.dylib (from browser/).  Other ones such as the runtime and
> trace libraries are fine, due to the fact their Mmakefiles have an
> explicit rule for building those dylibs (see comment "For darwin:" in each
> Mmakefile) that passes the option '-install_name'.  Also, versions of
> these three install_name-less libraries are okay in the other grades that
> are built as they are linked with 'ml' instead of the bad 'gcc' rule.

This seems to be a result of the source tarball being configured on Linux,
rather than OS X.

> It looks like this one will break the installation of the current rotds
> for new Mac users unless they disable shared libraries, or use one of the
> secondary grades once installed.
>
> This should also be fairly trivial to fix but I just can't figure out
> where the linking rule for dylibs, built from c files, is coming from.

We're having a look at this now.

> BTW, I have a 'mercury.info' that describes a fink package for mercury.
> There are a couple of issues with it that I'm working to figure out. Apart
> from the ease of installation ('fink install mercury') because everything
> from fink ends up in /sw/{bin,lib,etc} Mac users are a lot more willing to
> try unixy software because it doesn't have to get installed in with
> Apple's tools and therefore seems a lot safer.  It would probably be
> really good to have this package description submitted to fink in time for
> the release.

Somehow, I suspect the package description might be finished before the
release ;)

Cheers,
Julien.