[m-dev.] mmake ignoring LDFLAGS

Michael Wybrow mjwybrow at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 27 14:15:53 AEST 2004

I'm been trying to build the source rotd of the Mercury compiler for fink
on Mac OS X.  I have no problems building it if I pass
'--without-readline' to the configure script.  If I let the configure
script detect readline, it finds and compiles and links the readline tests
fine with the fink readline I have in '/sw' (finks root directory).  I
have the shell variables CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include and LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib set
and exported during configure, make, etc.

The build fails when linking 'libmer_mdbcomp.dylib' in the browser
directory with:
 	/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -lreadline

The reason being that by this point the variable LDFLAGS is not being
passed as an argument to the 'gcc' command run by 'ml'.  This is the gcc
command that gets run:

gcc -dynamiclib -single_module -undefined error -o libmer_mdbcomp.dylib
mdbcomp.pic_o mer_mdbcomp.pic_o mdbcomp.program_representation.pic_o -lmer_std
-lmer_rt -lgc -ldl -lreadline -ltermcap -L../boehm_gc -L../mps_gc/code
-L../runtime -L../library -L../trace -L../browser /usr/lib/libgcc.a -lm -lc

Which succeeds if I manually add '-L/sw/lib'.

Does mmake intentionally ignore LDFLAGS or is this possibly a bug with
configure not preserving LDFLAGS?

Could someone who is a bit more familiar with configure, mmake and ml have
a look at this?

Thanks,
Michael