[m-dev.] FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX

Ian MacLarty maclarty at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Nov 22 10:50:34 AEDT 2004

On 22 Nov 2004, at 10:10, Michael Wybrow wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Ian MacLarty wrote:
>>
>> When I recently changed the default value of the
>> --shlib-linker-install-name-path (which is used to set the
>> -install-name linker option for Darwin shared libs) to the value of
>> FINAL_INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR instead of INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR (as
>> requested by Michael Wybrow), building of user shared libraries on
>> Mac OS X no longer works as described in the user guide.
>>
>> This is because FINAL_INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR comes from
>> FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX which is not documented in the user guide, and
>> INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR comes from INSTALL_PREFIX which is documented in
>> the user guide.  The user guide says to set the INSTALL_PREFIX to the
>> path where the libraries will be installed, but no mention is made of
>> the FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX.
>>
>> Is FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX meant to be used by users or is it just
>> specific to the Mercury configuration scripts?  Surely if its Mercury
>> specific then the default value of --shlib-linker-install-name-path
>> should be the value of INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR?  Otherwise if
>> FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX is a variable the user should be aware of then
>> it should be documented in the user guide and should be used in the
>> example Mmakefile given in the user guide.
>
> My feeling is that that it is the user guide that is at fault -- the
> build process is working correctly at the moment and I can build a
> fink package and have the dylibs work correctly.  But this behaviour
> is probably only going to be used by packagers of the mercury
> distribution so maybe it does not need to be documented in the user
> guide?

I just thought of something:

I think it should be okay now if I set the default value of
--shlib-linker-install-name-path back to INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR, since
this flag is now overridden by the Mmakefiles for the Mercury build
(this was part of the last change I made so the -install-name option
wasn't passed twice for the c source distribution).  So if I set the
default value back to INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR the fink/rpm build should
still work the same and building of user shared libraries should also
work as documented in the user guide.

Michael, would you mind testing this hypothesis for me?  Just set the
default option of --shlib-linker-install-name-path back to
INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR and see that the fink package builds okay.  I
would test it myself except I'm not familiar with how to build a fink
package.

Ian.