[m-dev.] Re: Reminder: Mercury tests failing

David Overton dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri May 30 22:08:07 AEST 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 07:37:41PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> > I've had a look at this.  The problem is that
> > inst_matches_final(ground, bound(...)) is unsafe.
>
> I think you're wrong about that -- I think that issue is a separate issue.
> The issue that I'm talking about is specifically in pred_inst_matches*.
> You changed the way those predicates handle co/contra-variance,
> and from looking at your source changes, I figured that it must be
> broken, and came up with the above test case.
> Perhaps the above test case isn't actually the right one to illustrate the
> problem, but last time I looked I was pretty sure there was a bug
> in your changes to pred_inst_matches*.

>From memory, I think the bug in pred_inst_matches* made it too
conservative.  It shouldn't cause this sort of error.  I'll have another
look at it next week.

David
--
David Overton                  Uni of Melbourne     +61 3 8344 1354
dmo at cs.mu.oz.au                Monash Uni (Clayton) +61 3 9905 5779