[m-dev.] ICFP Contest: Any signs of life?

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Jun 29 19:47:15 AEST 2003

I have a program just about generating Manhattan solutions - that is,
all 90' turns and with the car coming to a halt to turn at each
waypoint.

The obvious first optimization is to try to remove waypoints by taking
more direct routes - that is, rather than taking ABC, just take just AC
(provided there are no obstacles in the way.)

The real optimization, however, is to avoid stopping at waypoints
altogether, instead making turns on the move.  I'm a bit stuck for ideas
as to how this might be made to work.  I have an idea that one could
look for opporunities to break when entering a turn and accelerate on
the way out.  Part of the problem is working out where to start turning
and how hard to accelerate.

If anyone's still thinking about this one, I could do with some ideas!

-- Ralph