[m-dev.] Uploaded Mac OS-X port; Windows port?

Douglas Auclair dauclair at msn.com
Thu Jan 23 16:47:03 AEDT 2003

Dear all,

I have uploaded the Mac OS-X port (version 0.11.0) and installation
instructions to ftp.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/incoming.  Would
somebody move those files to the binary distribution directory?

I tried building a Mercury port to cygwin on two different machines using
two different cygwin versions.  Neither version succeeded (one cored when it
tried to use the bootstrap compiler to compile the first library file, the
other froze when it tried to execute some make command, like create a new
directory).

I'm currently using 0.10.1 for cygwin.  It does the job, but it has some
associated Windows annoyances, e.g.: it complains about 0xD as an
unacceptable token (I use perl to strip the '\r' characters, but Xemacs puts
them back in), and when printing to the shell,

lines
     print
          like
              this.

AND, I needed to add and configure by hand all the shell tools one finds in
other binary distributions (mmc, mmake, c2init, mgnuc, and ml).

Would you please publish a document for porters that show what is required
for a binary distribution?  Would you please consider Windows support (the
end-of-line problem should be an easy fix, and accepting '\r' as white-space
is simple to add to a scanner) for the compiler and the runtime?

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair