[m-dev.] TinyCC - May be worth investigating

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 10 01:51:17 AEDT 2003

On 01-Feb-2003, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> I have installed tcc 0.9.14 on earth.cs.mu.oz.au, and tried using it
> with Mercury.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with the C code that the
> Mercury compiler generates for most Mercury modules, due to a bug in tcc.
> I have reported the bug.

That bug is fixed in tcc 0.9.16, which I have now installed on earth.

I found another tcc bug which prevented compilation of boehm_gc/finalize.c,
and reported it.  Fortunately this one was easy to work-around.

Unfortunately, however, `make gctest' fails when boehm_gc is built with tcc.
I'm not sure whether this one is another bug in tcc or a non-portability in
the Boehm collector.  But it looked like it would be non-trivial to debug,
and this was enough to convince me to wait until tcc is a bit more robust
and widely used.