[m-dev.] proposal: new release

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Sep 9 03:53:14 AEST 2002

It's been more than 18 months since 0.10 was released, and in that time we
have made some important improvements.  Right now our code base appears
to be reasonably stable, and in particular it is passing all the tests
on most hosts, for the first time in months.  I think it would be good
time to issue a new official release.

So, I propose that we begin preparations to issue a new "official" release
of Mercury.

Comments?

P.S.

NEWS since Mercury release 0.10.1 (HIGHLIGHTS)

Changes to the Mercury language:
* Support for constrained polymorphic modes.
* Addition of state variable syntax.
* Improved support for higher-order functions.
* Predicate and function equivalence type and mode declarations.
* Support for defining predicates or functions
  using different clauses for different modes.
* Support for Haskell-like "@" expressions.

Changes to the Mercury compiler:
* A new `--smart-recompilation' option, for fine-grained dependency tracking.
* A new optional warning: `--warn-non-tail-recursion'.
* A new optimization: `--constraint-propagation'.
* Support for arbitrary mappings from module name to source file name.

Major improvements to the Mercury debugger, including:
* Support for source-linked debugging using vim (rather than emacs).
* Command-line completion.
* Ability to display values of higher-order terms.

Numerous minor improvements to the Mercury standard library.