[m-dev.] Problem with new operators

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 30 12:25:11 AEDT 2002

Zoltan Somogyi, Wednesday, 30 October 2002:
> On 28-Oct-2002, Ralph Becket <rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > I've been doing `mmake depend; mmake' etc. for an hour now and still
> > haven't got it to recognise @<.
>
> I am not as familiar with the parser as Fergus may be, but I would
> have thought that adding a new operator in the library isn't
> sufficient if you want to use that operator, because the compiler you
> are compiling with has to have that operator in its tables. I believe
> it gets those tables from the source it was compiled from, not an
> interface file it read.

The operators @< etc. are already recognised by the parser (they've been
part of prolog.m for a long time.)

The problem was that even having added @< etc. to builtin.m, the
builtin.int* files were not being rebuilt.  The solution was to run
$ $MC -i builtin

> If this is true, you need to
>
> 1. Commit a change adding the new operator.
> 2. Wait for that change to be installed on all our systems.
> 3. *Then* work on code that uses the new operator.

Agreed, but in this case I was just using existing operators.

- Ralph