[m-dev.] Re: [m-rev.] diff: ROTD RPM support

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 17 12:27:16 AEST 2002

On 17-Oct-2002, Ralph Becket <rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Fergus Henderson, Thursday, 17 October 2002:
> > Estimated hours taken: 0.75
> > Branches: main
> >
> > A first step towards building RPM distributions for ROTD releases.
>
> Good stuff.  Given that we're largely a Debian outfit, I guess we should
> release .debs too, when this is working.  Can this be done just using
> alien or is there more involved?  One of you Deb-heads out there must
> know.

It's kind of complicated, but most of the complexity lies in getting
your build system up-to-date and configured.
Managing the source file packages to make sure everything is
named properly is also a bit of pain.

I wouldn't recommend using alien as it usually doesn't work 100% if the
package has dependencies.

There are problems with interactivity in the normal build process for
.debs -- you have to sign them with a GPG key.  However, the debian
directory of the Mercury CVS repository contains most of the required
configuration, you just need to update it (with correct version
information) and build it.

Tyson.