[m-dev.] Mingw & packaging

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Mon Nov 11 03:40:27 AEDT 2002

fjh wrote:
> However, using the resulting compiler is not so easy, since the compiler
> uses Windows path names, but the scripts which invoke it assume Unix
> path names.
>
> One way to solve it is to use the mercury_compile.exe file from
> a compiler built with Cygwin, but use the libraries built with Mingw.
>
> Pete, how do you deal with this issue when compiling with MSVC?

I share my cygwin usr directory as usr.

I can then refer to it in windows using \\machine\usr.  However you can also
alternatively use //machine/usr which works under both cygwin and MSVC.

So to configure I pass `--prefix //machine/usr/local/mercury-latest', note
however
that during the install process you must use
`mmake install INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/mercury-latest' to avoid problems
with `mkdir -p' and these style path names (it doesn't work).  This is all
documented
in README.MS-VisualC.

Pete