[m-dev.] Foreign type compare and unification

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon May 13 17:34:12 AEST 2002

On 12-May-2002, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> Is there any reason why we have user-defined equality but not
> user-defined comparison?  Not having user-defined comparison
> makes it difficult to use data types such as cords (strings
> represented as trees for constant-time append).

One reason is that although it makes sense to special-case equality
in a logic programming language, the argument for special-casing
comparison is much weaker.

User-defined comparison is still not a complete solution to the problem.
You also need user-defined io__print, for example.
It would be nicer to devise a solution that doesn't single out
comparison, but would work equally well for hashing, printing, etc.