[m-dev.] Adding `.' as a module separator

Peter Moulder pmoulder at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Dec 2 14:20:54 AEDT 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 12:47:36PM +1100, Ralph Becket wrote:

> Scanning from left to right, a substring in the set{'.', '__', ':'}
> is interpreted as a module separator iff it separates two simple names
> (where a simple name is a string interpreted as having no structure.)

(I think dmo has already addressed this, though this is slightly
different.)

Currently, "__" and ":" are different wrt quoting, in that we write
'foo':'bar' but 'foo__bar'; 'foo:bar' is a single name (the : is not a
module separator), while 'foo'__'bar' is a syntax error (apparently
treated as 'foo' '__' 'bar').

pjm.