[m-dev.] Infix syntax proposal

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Thu Aug 22 09:45:22 AEST 2002

> However, currently Mmake still has some advantages over mmc --make;
> in particular, it supports parallel makes.  And Mmake is shipped
> with the Mercury implementation.  So I would advise you to continue
> using Mmakefiles, at least for now.

Right, thanks. Using regular Makefiles with mmc --make would be quite
strange, I think.

The Makefile would not be aware of the dependencies, so it would be
something like this:

myprogram:
	mmc --make myprogram

But if you had generated source files that mmc --make was not aware of,
you would have to do something like this:

myprogram: *.m
	mmc --make myprogram

%.m : %.moo
	moose -u $< > $@

Makes some sense I guess, as make can at least check whether generated
files need to be rebuilt.

Michael