[m-dev.] Module qualification of typeclass methods

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Oct 31 19:02:48 AEDT 2001

On 30-Oct-2001, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> Our prototype system for interoperability with .NET objects maps each
> object to a typeclass.

I think you meant that it maps each .NET _class_ to a Mercury type class.

(When discussing these things, it helps to use precise language ;-)

> Each of these typeclasses may have names which
> conflict with the same name in another typeclass, hence we have to place
> each typeclass in a seperate sub-module.  The mscorlib assembly has 883
> public types in it, so a reasonable use of this library may require 20
> or 30 imports just to use a subset of its types effectively.  I can
> assure you that this is very annoying.

Could you give an example?

Note that having 20 or 30 imports is not uncommon for modules in the
Mercury compiler directory.  I haven't found that to be particularly
annoying.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  | "... it seems to me that 15 years of
The University of Melbourne         | email is plenty for one lifetime."