[m-dev.] foreign type syntax, the pain begins.

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 7 11:44:27 AEDT 2001

On 02-Nov-2001, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> Tyson wrote:
> > I think I would prefer to only accept IL foriegn_types -- it will be
> > much simpler to just write some code to parse the IL than to do this
> > stuff (or worse still, explain this mess to users!).
> >
> I support Tyson on this point.  The whole point of the IL backend (unlike
> all of the other backends) is that is designed with interoperability in
> mind.  Thus I believe that we should represent types in a Mercury fashion
> and map them as necessary to the appropiate foreign language as required.
> Otherwise we are going to suffer combinatorial explosion as we decide to be
> able to interact with more and more languages.

Ok, I think I can go forward on this without ruffling any feathers -- I
just accept types in CIL syntax, and I parse that syntax to extract the
required information.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.