[m-dev.] Module qualification of typeclass methods

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Nov 20 23:02:04 AEDT 2001

On 20-Nov-2001, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:28:11PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > >
> > > This could be problematic when you have a very large hierachy of sub
> > > modules.  For instance if you want to use the System namespace in .NET you
> > > would also have to load in all the children namespaces.  This would be huge,
> > > so maybe it is not such a great idea because it could lead to too much
> > > importing.
> >
> > I'm not sure what problem you're worried about here.
> > Is it namespace polution, or efficiency?
>
> I was worried about efficiency.

If efficiency is really a significant problem,
users can use more precise declarations than
a single ":- use_package 'System'.", e.g.

	:- use_package 'System__Data'.
	:- use_package 'System__Reflection'.

> So in summary I don't think it is a valid objection anymore.

Good.