[m-dev.] compiler/Mmakefile and Mmake.params

David Jeffery dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon May 28 17:47:59 AEST 2001

Hi y'all,

When I want to redefine Mmake variables for compiling the compiler, I
typically put the new values in Mmake.params. For example, if I want to
compile a bunch of modules with debugging turned on, I put:

MCFLAGS-polymorphism = --trace deep
[etc.]
MCFLAGS-term = --trace shallow
MCFLAGS-map = --trace shallow
MCFLAGS-list = --trace shallow

EXTRA_MLFLAGS = --trace

C2INITFLAGS=-t

This has worked fine until recently... but I now find that compiler/Mmakefile
redefines C2INITFLAGS, so I now have to edit the Mmakefile directly.

Perhaps the definition of C2INITFLAGS in compiler/Mmakefile should be
changed to C2INITFLAGS+=<whatever> rather than C2INITFLAGS=<whatever>.
Is this the best approach (and should this be our policy for all such
variables in the compiler's Mmakefiles)? Or should I be using
EXTRA_C2INITFLAGS?

Just trying to work out what the best approach is in the long term...

dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au) | If you want to build a ship, don't drum up
PhD student,                    | people together to collect wood or assign