[m-dev.] intermod optimization framework

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 29 22:37:46 AEST 2001

> Predicate eval:interpret calls renderer:render, the aliasing for this is
> top because we haven't calculated the aliases for renderer:render.
> Now we analyse renderer:renderer which calls eval:interpret and the
> aliasing is top because of the call to eval:interpret.  Obviously no
> matter how many times we iterate over this process we will always have a
> top.

It sounds like you're trying to find the greatest fixpoint, when the least
fixpoint is much more useful.  To find the least fixpoint, you have to
approximate everything as bottom initially and iterate until you reach a
fixpoint.  The advantage of starting out at top is that you can stop any
time you like and you'll have a safe approximation.  The disadvantage is
that you wind up with the greatest fixpoint.

--
Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU>  Free trade is the weapon of the
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~schachte/      strong, protectionism is the shield