[m-dev.] `highly ambiguous overloading' ??

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 20 05:52:40 AEDT 2001

Or "The Apocrypha", as we like to think of it :)

> Peter Stuckey has proposed an alternative algorithm which
> avoids the exponential complexity in most cases (it's not
> possible to do it in polynomial time in the general case, at
> least not unless P=NP). This algorithm treats type checking
> as constraint solving, and solves the constraints by delaying
> disjunctive constraints (overloading), and using constraint
> propagation to eliminate them where possible; the algorithm
> only resorts to searching as a last resort, if there are
> disjunctive constraints remaining at the end which can't be
> eliminated by constraint propagation.

This was the sort of thing I had in mind, but it's probably way
down on the list of priorities.  It's good to know what "highly
ambiguous overloading" is, though - that one's bitten me in the
past, too.  Perhaps -E could cause a precis of the explanation
you gave to be included in the error report?

Cheers,

Ralph