[m-dev.] introduce box/unbox float operators in HLDS

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 16 11:25:50 AEDT 2001

On 15-Mar-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > In the MLDS back-end, fields are always boxed,
>
> Why does it do that?  I thought fields were just syntactic sugar.

This has nothing to do with named fields. The current term representation
used by both the LLDS and MLDS backends assumes that all fields of a memory
cell are the same size, which requires float fields to be boxed.

Relaxing the assumption would a good idea, but it is also a hell of a lot of
work.

Zoltan.