[m-dev.] Levi's Mercury Todo list

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jan 19 16:35:40 AEDT 2001

----- Forwarded message from Levi Cameron <l.cameron2 at ugrad.unimelb.edu.au> -----

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:06:21 +1100
From: Levi Cameron <l.cameron2 at ugrad.unimelb.edu.au>
To: fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Subject: Levi's Mercury Todo list

 Here is my current todo list (in a vaguely prioritised order)

 -> Get compiler to generate entry stubs

 -> Nondet code called from native code
 -> Closely related: calling native code from bytecode

 -> 'complex' constructors (I think 'partially instantiated' was the
term
    that everybody else was familiar with)

 -> Handle foreign code in mercury gracefully

 -> Closures

 -> Make the bytecode debugger interface nicer (add breakpoints, step,
    more user friendly machine state dump etc.)
 -> Add variable type information to bytecode debugger

 -> Hash module & predicate names on load rather than linear search

 -> Remove fixed size code limit

 -> Remove best case 64MB code size limit (worst case is 16MB)
    [can easily be upped to 256MB (64MB worst) but beyond that will
    suffer a performance penalty -- should check how much this is
    actually going to be -- bytecode overhead probably is a lot higher]
 -> Alternatively, is labels, modules & predicates can all be put in
    a hash then can store bytecode id/arguments in one contiguous
    aray which would be best for performance

 -> Unary ops (Zoltan said to ignore them for now - I haven't actually
    even been able to generate mercury code that actually uses them)

Levi
l.cameron2 at ugrad.unimelb.edu.au

----- End forwarded message -----