[m-dev.] for review: minutes 12/01/01

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Jan 13 01:15:45 AEDT 2001

On 12-Jan-2001, David Overton <dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> +			- There was talk about the idea of including
> +			  the Mercury compiler in the GCC distribution
> +			  (some GCC people have shown interest in
> +			  this) however this was decided against for
> +			  two reasons:

"this was decided against" is not right; we didn't make any final
decisions.  I was just sounding out the opinions of the rest of
the Mercury group.  I suggest

	s/this was decided against/the concensus was that this was
	probably not a good idea,/

> +			  	1. The Mercury compiler is way too big
> +				   for this.
> +				2. We would have to assign copyright
> +				   on the compiler to the FSF which we
> +				   are unwilling to do, since it would
> +				   cause problems if we want to change
> +				   licenses or integrate ``non-free''
> +				   code into our distribtion.

s/would/might/

> +	Zoltan Somogyi (zs)
> +		- Attempting to fix the broken lcc backend.

I don't think that wording is quite right.
We don't have an "lcc backend" as such.

How about "Attempting to modify the C backends
so that they work with lcc"?

> +3. Other items
> +
> +	- It was agreed that the summer students should each write a
> +	  progress report, including a current TODO list and an
> +	  estimation of how much of their given task they will
> +	  complete within the next six weeks.
> +
> +	- Fergus reminded us that all bugfixes should go on both the
> +	  release branch and the main branch.  People should note in
> +	  the log message when something is to be comitted on both
> +	  branches.  Reviewers should look out for cases where this is
> +	  required but hasn't been mentioned.
> +
> +	- Zoltan made sure that everyone knew about his lmc script for
> +	  executing uninstalled copies of the compiler.  Tyson
> +	  volunteered to document the procedure on the web site.

Zoltan agreed to add his lmc script to the mercury/tools directory
in the cvs repository.