[m-dev.] Re: The Great Computer Language Shootout

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 12 20:46:57 AEDT 2001

>From Robert Jeschofnik on 12/01/2001 03:10:41
> I also think that it should be a predicate.
>
> Ralph, I'm not sure if you have noticed, but you seem to be the only
> person I know (of) that wants to use functions for everything in a
> logic programming language. :)

When you only have one output, functions are just sooo much more
convenient.  They save typing.  Programmers generate less heat.  It's
an eco-warrior thing.  People working on other declarative languages
will laugh at us if we don't.

> There are places where they just aren't appropriate.

Sure, when you have more than one output and/or aren't (semi)deterministic
and/or need to use DCGs (to be used with care, IMHO).

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com