[m-dev.] diff: keeping trace namespace-clean

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 10 20:06:18 AEDT 2001

On 09-Jan-2001, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Mmake.common.in:
> runtime/Mmakefile:
> 	Move the rule for creating foo.o.obj_check files, which can be used to
> 	check for name-space violations, from runtime/Mmakefile to
> 	Mmake.common.
>
> trace/Mmakefile:
> 	Add an entry for checking the name-space cleanliness of the trace
> 	directory, using the rule now in Mmake.common.

I don't think that's quite the right thing to do, since the names that
are OK will depend on which directory the code is coming from.

Probably the rule should be modified so that it uses a variable,
which each subdirectory's Mmakefile can set, giving a set of
arguments to `grep' to identify the allowed symbol names.

See
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/mailing-lists/mercury-developers/mercury-developers.9905/0047.html>
for a discussion on naming policy for the `trace' directory.

Is there any reason why you didn't also copy the `check_headers' and
`check_headers_macros' rules too?