[m-dev.] for review: create new web pages for 0.10 release

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 21 19:24:38 AEDT 2001

On 21-Feb-2001, David Overton <dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> +Changes to the Mercury implementation:
> +<ul>
> +<li> We've implemented a new back-end for the Mercury compiler.
> +  This features improved compilation speed, offers better portability,
> +  and sometimes generates substantially better code.
> +  (The original back-end is still included.)
> +<li> There's a version of the new back-end which generates code
> +  for Microsoft's new .NET system.
> +<li> There's a version of the new back-end which compiles directly
> +  to to assembler, using the GCC back-end.
> +<li> Various improvements to `mtags'.
> +
> +</ul>

There are several other changes we should mention.

- The procedural debugger has been improved in several respects:
  - It has some new commands: next, excp.
  - It can perform retry across I/O.
  - It can now print parts of terms, and fields of terms can be specified by
    field name as well as by position number.
  - It has a more flexible mechanism for setting browsing parameters.
  - It now handles ambiguous procedure specifications in "break" commands
    gracefully.
  - The state of the debugger can now be saved and restored.
- The declarative debugger has been improved in several respects:
  - It has a greatly improved user interface.
  - It can now handle the debugging of very large computations.
- The compiler now recognizes assertions for associativity and for
  order-independent update, and uses them to introduce accumulators.
- The compiler now has a new optimization, enabled by --unneeded-code.
- The compiler now generates faster code at low optimization levels.
- The compiler is now faster.
- The runtime system and compiler generated code are now name space clean.

Zoltan.