[m-dev.] permissions problems

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Feb 16 06:14:42 AEDT 2001

Hi,

As a side effect of some of dmo's recent changes, the files in the
`tests' directory of the repository ended up all owned by do, with
group stude, and some of them without world read permission.  I've
fixed this now, but I'm trying to track down why it occurred.
Recently we seem to have had a spate of these kind of problems.
If anyone has any idea why this might be happening, please share it.

We have a precommit check script that is supposed to catch cases like
that.  I'm trying to figure out why we've had a bunch of permissions
problems recently.

I have a hunch that the permissions problems may be happening for
`cvs tag' or `cvs rtag' operations.  If that's the case, I'm not
quite sure how to fix it.  cvs allows a pre-tag checking script,
so I guess we could perhaps check umask in that script.  But I'd
like to verify how and why the problem is occurring before I try
to fix it.

Until we solve this problem, could everyone please manually check
the permissions after every cvs operation that modifies the repository
(i.e. `cvs commit', `cvs tag', `cvs rtag')?
If the permissions are wrong, then please (a) note down what you did
that caused the problem, including details of your environment (e.g.
are you using remote cvs or local cvs? What is your umask?), and
mail them to mercury-bugs at cs.mu.oz.au, and then (b) use chmod
and/or chgrp to fix them.