[m-dev.] for review: merge HAL branch onto main branch

David Jeffery dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 19 14:53:50 AEDT 2001

On 15-Feb-2001, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > +
> > +        % Output a `dummy' ptag layout, for use by tags that aren't *real*
> > +        % tags, such as the tag reserved when --reserve-tag is on.
> > +:- pred output_dummy_ptag_layout_defns(io__state::di, io__state::uo) is det.
> > +
> > +output_dummy_ptag_layout_defns -->
> > +        io__write_string("\t{ 0, MR_SECTAG_NONE, NULL },\n").
>
> Hmm... there's lots of code in the Mercury runtime system which won't
> work with such a dummy ptag layout.
>
> What were you planning on doing about that?
>
> I think that warrants at least an XXX comment.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here... perhaps I need to add the following
to the comment?:
	% This dummy layout should never actually be referenced; the ptag that
	% this layout refers to should never actually be used by Mercury.

Does that make it clearer?

dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au) | If your thesis is utterly vacuous
PhD student,                    | Use first-order predicate calculus.