[m-dev.] for review: merge HAL branch onto main branch

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 15 18:23:25 AEDT 2001

On 15-Feb-2001, David Jeffery <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Merge the changes from the HAL branch onto the main branch.

Here's a review of just the log message.
(A review of the rest of it will come later...)

> extras/references/Mmakefile:
> 	Add `.rt' grades to the list of grades built for the trailed
> 	references modules. HAL uses these to implement various things such
> 	as backtrackable global variables.
> 	XXX should this change really affect everyone?

That change seems like the wrong thing to do.

> compiler/builtin_ops.m:
> library/builtin.m:
> 	Add `any' modes for unsafe_promise_unique.

You should explain why.

> 	XXX builtin_ops.m should probably be checked in as a separate change,
> 	before the rest of these changes, otherwise it falls over when
> 	compiling builtin.m because there is no definition for
> 	unsafe_promise_unique with the new modes. This works in my workspace
> 	because I have a Mmake.params file that ignores warnings for this file.

You can handle that by putting the stuff from Mmake.params
in compiler/Mmakefile (with an appropriate XXX comment).

> library/private_builtin.m:
> 	Add `any' modes for var/1

You should explain why.

> library/sparse_bitset.m:
> 	When allocating a sparse bitset element, use tag `1' if we are in a
> 	.rt grade.
> runtime/mercury_tags.h:
> 	Define a macro `MR_UNIV_TAG' which is `1' is we in a .rt grade and
> 	`0' otherwise. (Now that univ is a user defined type, it is a also
> 	assigned a `var' tag).
> 	Also make the definitions of MR_RAW_TAG_NIL and MR_RAW_TAG_CONS take the
> 	.rt grade into account.

It would probably be a good idea to define MR_FIRST_TAG as 1 or 0,
and use that for MR_UNIV_TAG, in library/sparse_bitset.m, and probably
elsewhere too.