[m-dev.] for review: document dl__close caveats

Adrian Pellas-Rice apell at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Feb 1 00:30:57 AEDT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> On 31-Jan-2001, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> >
> > You might want to add that only implementors will know all this stuff.

[snip]

> On the other hand, the fact that copy/2 won't work is perhaps a good
> reason to document it.

Yes.  It is at least worth mentioning that "copy/2 will not work in some
cases."

To me, the name `copy' suggests that copy/2 is the ideal work-around to
try -- no implementation knowledge exercised. Unless attention is drawn to
the fact, it's likely someone will end up assuming that the copy/2 method
works in the general case on the basis of a few successful trials.

Adrian Pellas-Rice