[m-dev.] Fixed: Mac OS X/Darwin Excessive Compilation Time

Richard Hagen r.hagen at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 15:47:56 AEST 2001

On Tuesday, April 17, 2001, at 11:09  PM, Richard Hagen wrote:

> The problem with excessive compilation time under Mac OS X/Darwin seems
> to be coming from the use of cpp-precomp by gcc.

Ok. I've added the following lines to scripts/mgnuc.in at about line 392
(it's the code dealing
with pathological architectures):

         *-apple-darwin*)
                 # cpp-precomp gets big and slow. Avoid.
                 case "$COMPILER" in
                         cc | gcc)
                                 GCC_OPTS="$GCC_OPTS --traditional-cpp"
                                 ;;
                 esac
                 ;;

It seems to have done the trick i.e. I'm now getting reasonable compile
times.

Notes:

[1] *-apple-darwin* used because there's noise about an Intel port of
Darwin.
[2] I don't know what flow on this change will have. There's a comment
about
      mirroring changes in ../configure.in but I couldn't see anything
appropriate to fix
      or change in that file.

Take care,

richard