[m-dev.] /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:_MR_global_pointer _GC_register_dynamic_libraries ___data_start __end _data_start

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 10 23:46:34 AEST 2001

On 01-May-2001, Terrence Brannon <princepawn at earthlink.net> wrote:
> /usr/bin/ld: can't use -s with input files containg indirect symbols (output file must contain at least global symbols, for maximum stripping use -x)
> make[2]: *** [mercury_compile] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [compiler] Error 2
> [localhost:~/wares/Mercury/mercury-compiler-0.10.1] metaperl%
>

> A few questions
>
> 1- there are close parentheses here with no open parens...

Yes, that's Bourne shell case syntax for you...

> 2- how can I turn off shared libs without reconfiguring and
> recompiling everything? I think the reference to -s has to do with
> shared libs...

`-s' is for stripping.  You can turn it off by setting the "strip"
variable to false in scripts/ml.in, like we do for Cygwin.
See line 90 or thereabouts of scripts/ml.in.