[m-dev.] for discussion: stream library v2

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 27 21:19:43 AEDT 2000

[Previous version was sent prematurely].

Umm, I'm not sure I'm happy with this being restricted to chars.  At
the very least, bytes would be better.

Are we not worried about generalising to arbitrary stream types?  For
example, I might want to treat a lexer as an input stream of tokens.

I also think there should be some explanation of why all the lowlevel
typeclass methods are impure.  I still don't see why they shouldn't have
pure di/uo signatures.  It doesn't matter if they change the state of
the world thanks to the semantics of unique objects.  For example,
arrays are implemented in C, but still have a pure di/uo interface.
Having several streams playing around with IO is still fine - it's no
different to having multiple threads doing IO.

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com