[m-dev.] Performance of collect

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Tue Sep 26 03:08:53 AEDT 2000

Fergus wrote:
| On 25-Sep-2000, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
| > So the original program is compiled in asm_fast.gc grade, and  the collect
| > module in hlc.gc grade. I have modified browser/collect_lib.m so that it looks
| > for the initilaze/1 and filter/4 with the hlc naming convention (I have edited
| > collect.c to find how they were called). Unfortunaltely, the dlopen still
| > fails:
| >
| > ** dlopen failed: ld.so.1: ./hello: fatal : erreur de réadressage : fichier ./
| > ** collect.so : symbole mercury__private_builtin__builtin_compare_string_3_p_0 :
| > ** symbole référencé introuvable
|
| What's the error message when you set the locale (LC_ALL or LANG environment
| variable) to "C"?  It's hard enough to debug these things in English,
| let alone in French! ;-)

Sorry about that. I let them in french because Tyson told me when he came here
that he enjoys a lot those exotic error messages :-)

Anyway, here the (much more boring:) english version:

** dlopen failed: ld.so.1: ./queens: fatal: relocation error: file ./collect.so:
** symbol mercury__private_builtin__builtin_compare_string_3_p_0: referenced
** symbol not found

| > I guess it is again a naming convention problem, but I don't quite understand
| > where it is coming from (this symbol does appear in collect.c). Do you have an
| > idea?
|
| Probably you have a call to compare/3 in collect.m with a string argument.
| This may occur in the automatically-generated clauses for compare/3
| for the types defined in collect.m.

Sure, but why the dlopen (the C call) tries (and fails) to do something with
that symbol?
--
R1.