[m-dev.] option-finetuning (generating trans-opts)

schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Sep 12 23:02:15 AEDT 2000

On 12 Sep, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> Well, basically the only way to avoid this would be to redesign the
> way trans-opt files work.  That might well be a good idea!

There was a rumor floating around recently that there was some interest
in developing a new approach to the build process.  I'm hoping this
would entail merging mmake and mmc into a single program that builds
the application bottom-up one file dependency SCC (or even call graph
SCC) at a time.  If this is done, can't the generation of .opt,
.transopt and .c files be done at once?  Could this make it cheap
enough to just always generate a .transopt file?  I realize there are
potential memory footprint problems with compiling an SCC at a time,
but this can always be handled by flushing information not immediately
necessary from memory to disk, and reloading it when it is needed
again.

So what are the plans and when are they likely to happen (if ever)?
Could Nancy take advantage of such a rewrite?

--
Peter Schachte                     The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its
mailto:schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        teaching should, therefore, be regarded