[m-dev.] track down a memory leak

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Sep 18 21:38:59 AEDT 2000

On 13-Sep-2000, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> I was thinking of updating the boehm_gc, however I'd be happy if you did
> it.

I'll do it.  Merging changes requires understanding those changes
and why they were made in the first place, and (except for the
changes to NT_Makefile) since I've done all the merges up to now,
I'm probably best placed for that.

> The basic routine is (I think) import a vendor branch, then do a merge
> of the changes with the main branch and commit the merge.
>
> The current GC release is:
> gc-5_0alpha3
>
> I think the GC vendor branch is just called "gc".

That's correct.

> something like
>
> cvs import -m "Log message..." mercury/boehm_gc gc gc-(version number)
>
> then something like
>
> cvs checkout -jgc:yesterday -jgc mercury/boehm_gc
>
> (it will actually suggest this command line after to import the vendor
> branch).
>
> Hmmm... this is something else we need to document.  Fergus, does this
> sound right to you?

It's important to use the `-I !' option to cvs so that it doesn't
ignore the *.s and *.asm files in the Boehm gc distribution.

You don't need to use the `-m "Log message..."' option
when doing `cvs import'; if you don't specify a log message,
then cvs will start up your editor to let you create one.

Also it's better to do

	cvs checkout mercury
	cd mercury/boehm_gc
	cvs update -jgc:yesterday -jgc

(or to just do the two of those three commands in an
already-checked-out workspace) rather than

	cvs checkout -jgc:yesterday -jgc mercury/boehm_gc

since checking out a complete Mercury repository makes it easier to
test your changes.